Global Marine Systems Limited was Services Provided contracted by Huawei Marine Networks Limited for the marine installation works for the Portugal Telecom, Flores – Corvo Submarine System (FCSS).
The cable system was installed connecting the four islands in the Azores. The three cable segments were installed with landing operations in Faial, Flores, Corvo and Graciosa.
The 633.5km fibre optic cable system was installed by Global Marine who performed direct shore end installation operations at all four landing locations with the subsea cable installation being surface laid. The operations commenced in August 2013.
The project presented significant operational challenges due to the islands’ remote location and geographical landscape. Of notable achievement was the shore end landing accommodating a 22m cliff at Flores.
• Vessel: Vessel of Opportunity, IT Interceptor
• Location: North Atlantic Sea
• Length: 633.5km
• Articulated Pipe: 1,700m installed
• Marine installation and shore end operational permits
• Cable clearance
• Post Lay Grapnel Run with Diver Support
• Land shore end
• Surface lay operation
• Divers and beach team installed 1,700m of articulated pipe
• Diver PLGR
• Cable pulling to beach man hole